We know that good quality education does much to set someone up for success in life. Conversely, as Economics researcher Nic Spaull says, poor quality education is one of the contributing factors to children remaining in an intergenerational cycle of poverty.

Unfortunately South African schools mirror the country’s significant economic disparity. For example, 3% of South African high schools produce more Mathematics distinctions than the remaining 97% put together.

But we’re not sharing all of this with the aim of creating a sense of hopelessness. Rather, we’d like to encourage you to use your Different Donation to do what you can to support highly impactful but economically effective interventions aimed to address the quality of education in South Africa. Here are the education-related projects currently on Different.org:

Cotlands Toy Library, rural KwaZulu-Natal. Play is essential for the development of children, and this mobile toy library ensures that children in under-resourced areas have access to educational toys.

Zero2Five early literacy and feeding project, KwaZulu-Natal. Support Zero2Five Trust in rolling out the WordWorks “Every Word Counts” Early Literacy Programme in the ECD centres that they provide nutritional support to.

Vuleka St Joseph’s Archbishop Thabo Makgoba School for Boys in Sophiatown is raising funds for various teaching aids and classroom furniture.

Streetlight Schools in Jeppestown, Johannesburg is raising funds to allow all their learners (from grade R to 5), to learn coding.

Comments are closed.