Sunday 29 May marked the start of Child Protection Week, a time during which there is a special focus on issues facing young South Africans under the age of 18.
During the course of the week, awareness talks and advocacy events will be held across the country. The issue of child labour was highlighted as a specific area of concern.
In the event that you suspect child labour, abuse, neglect or exploitation of any kind, and want to report it, the following numbers may be helpful:
- Department of Social Development’s 24-hour call centre: toll-free 0800 428 428, or dial the free number *120*7867# to request a social worker
- Child Welfare South Africa: 0861 424453 or 011 452 4110
- South African Police Service’s Crime Stop: 08600 10 111
- SMS Crime Line: 32211
If you would like to help NGOs focusing on serving children in various areas, click on any of the links below to see how you can help:
- Support a children’s feeding programme in the Northern Cape
- Help train early childhood development centre teachers in KwaZulu-Natal
- Give children the joy of accessing a Toy Library in KwaZulu-Natal
Photo credit: Cotlands